Riding of Ravensbridge, Incipient
Ravensbridge is a local SCA group for the Augusta - Lewiston/Auburn neighborhood. We are a subgroup within the Province of Malagentia, which is part of the Kingdom of the East. We exist to encourage and enable local meetings and events, and build support and interest for our province, Kingdom and the SCA as a whole.
What's the SCA? The Society for Creative Anachronism is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to re-creating the best parts of Medieval and Renaissance civilization - graciousness, courtesy, and chivalry.
Ravensbridge members hold business meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Location may vary, usually either Augusta, Winthrop, or Lewiston/Auburn, check our events page or Facebook Page for confirmation.
This spring we have a weekly inside fighter practice site in Manchester, more info on the events page.
Huginn & Muninn - June 10, 2017, the riding holds an event that includes Fencing, Fighting, Arts & Sciences, Archery and a feast. Check our Events section for details.
Our device, per last submission - hopefully to be approved soon.
Participation — Creating the Modern Middle Ages
Events, both big multi-day and small, focused get-togethers are the lifeblood of the SCA.
Find out what's going on -
- Great Falls Balloon Festival Demo and Encampment - August 18-20, 2017, East Kingdom Event Page; Facebook Event
- Business Meeting - Friday, August 18, 2017 - Location: Bonnie Park at the Balloon Festival, about 7pm. Never again at Kennebec Savings Bank, that's not available, unfortunately. Facebook Event
- Local Indoor Practice - Weekly Wendnesday, 6:30pm - 8ish, during the school year. (Picking up again this fall? Not yet confirmed, check back later.) Location: Manchester Elementary School Gym, just off Rt. 17, School Street, Manchester, Maine.
(Subject to change, please check Facebook or contact Seneschal to confirm.)
- Outdoor Archery / Thrown Weapons Practices Generally Saturdays, events and schedule permitting, 59 Highland Heights, Winthrop, 12ish to 4ish, see Events Listing Page for details
(Subject to change, please check Facebook or contact webminister -at- ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org to confirm.)
- Huginn and Muninn - Confirmed Date: June 10th, 2017, 10AM to 7pm, Monmouth Fish & Game, Route 202 Monmouth Local H & M page, and Facebook event page
- Ravensbridge Demo - Whatever Family Festival Kennebec River Day - June 24 2017, setup 8-11, event is 11 to 3. Mill Park, Augusta - East Kingdom Event Page,
- Great Northeastern War July 6-9, 2017 Province of Malagentia, Hebron, Maine
Who are we? What do we do?
Who we are...
Participants in the SCA strive to recapture the ambiance of the Middle Ages and Renaissance. This requires research into such topics as dress, weaponry, armor, food - any and all facets of medieval life. But more than research or playing “make-believe”, the SCA promotes self-sufficiency and creativity by actively encouraging the practice of many of the forgotten crafts which were once basic to life.
The SCA sponsors many different events. There are numerous revels (the medieval equivalent of the modern party), seminars, demonstrations, wars and tournaments. Feasts are served which recreate medieval repasts, with authentic recipes and entertainment. There are also various craft guilds which hold meetings for those interested in specific arts. Seminars or Collegia are also held on topics of educational interest to members and other students of medieval history. Between tournaments and other medieval events, our branch holds regular meetings.
These meetings are announced on our Facebook group site and are usually held in the Augusta and Lewiston/Auburn area, and include business meetings, where the practical matters of running the organization and planning events are discussed, classes where the subjects range from heraldry to life in the Middle Ages, and from costuming to knitting chain mail.
While Society events are colorful to observe, the deeper satisfaction comes from being a participant. One need only experience the feeling of accomplishment which comes from having a piece of research result not just in printed paper, but in a suit of mail, a costume, or a medieval dish. In addition to having fun, we gain a little wider perspective on our world and ourselves by learning to do as our ancestors might have done. By discovering things about our past, we realize things about ourselves. We walk not backward into the future, but forward into the past. (Original text published by Barony of Thor’s Mountain. Reprinted with permission.)
News and Information
The Written Word – Groups, Publications and Other Writing
Read our newsletter, check out more information about SCA groups in the area and around the world.
Business Meeting Minutes
Officers & Stewards
Officers, Contact Information
- Lord Magnus Morté
seneschal (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
- Lord Antony Martin of Sheffield
herald (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
- Lord Edwearde Midnight
exchequer (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
- Lady Sigrid Arnsdottir
chatelain (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
- Lady Mallaidh of Huntley
chronicler (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
- Lady Mary of the High Hills
ans (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
- Perley of Malagentia
Contact through Mary of the High Hills, at the e-mail address above.
- Lord Aloysious
webminister (at) ravensbridge.eastkingdom.org
Huginn & Muninn A.S. 52
Information for Holding Events
How to Find Us
Where is the Riding of Ravensbridge?
Perhaps a map of the area will help.